According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Flaxseed seeds contain 27 identifiable cancer preventive compounds, and thus create many benefits. Medical sources abound that have published clinical results concluding that the benefits of flax seed can have a positive impact on your overall health.Flaxseeds are a a great source of fiber and work as a natural laxative. They are a great way to keep things regular.
2. Flaxseed oil contains concentrated amounts of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fat. Vegetarians and vegans often use this as a substitute for fish oil, although there are differing opinions over whether the Omega-3 in flaxseed oil is as beneficial as that in fish oil.
3. Ground flaxseed has been shown to work just as well as statins in lowering cholesterol.
4. Flaxseeds are a good source of magnesium.
5. Flaxseeds contain high levels of lignans. Lignans may protect against estrogen-dependents cancers such as breast cancer.
6. An ounce of ground flaxseed per day was shown to regulate estrogen levels in post-menopausal women.
7. Flaxseeds have been shown to protect post-menopausal women from heart disease.
8. Flaxseed decreases insulin resistance and may protect against diabetes.
9. Preliminary research in mice shows that flaxseeds may prevent or slow the spread of prostate cancer.
10. Studies in mice show that flaxseed may prevent or slow the spread of melanoma.
Some of the potential health benefits of flax seeds that have been reported:
· Increased energy, vitality, and stamina
· Increased sense of calmness under stress
· Reduced threat of blood clots
· Protection against cancers, particularly hormone sensitive cancers such as
breast and prostate
· Lowered blood cholesterol levels
· Lowered high blood pressure
· Better regulation of blood sugar levels
· Eases inflammatory tissue conditions, including arthritis
· Alleviation of dry skin, eczema and psoriasis
· Enhanced immune system
· Increased metabolic rate with a positive impact on weight management
· Helps with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
· Natural laxative